Feoffees & the charities of Louth

For a complete look at the status of charitable trusts in Louth in the 19th century we give the complete quotation from Whites 1872 History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire:
"Charities - The endowed schools, and the hospital for 12 poor people, are already noticed; and the following are the benefactions which have been left at various periods for distribution in money, coals, etc., among the poor parishioners of Louth. In 1550, Thomas Spencer left property, now consisting of a house and shop in Mercer Row, let for 35 per annum, to provide coals for the poor. In 1573, Richard Wright, in consideration of 50 bequeathed to the poor by Arthur Gray and William Richardson, and in satisfaction of his own benevolent feelings towards the poor of Louth, granted 20 acres of land in Brackenborough, and 4 acres in the East Field of Louth, to provide them with distributions of coal during 20 weeks after All Saints' day, under the management of 12 trustees.

 This charity has been augmented by some unknown donor with six cottages in Louth, described in a deed of 1739, as situated in Mill Lane, "near the water mill, commonly called the Kings Mill." The rental now amounting to about 95, is distributed in coals, under the name of "Wright's Coal Charity," and there are generally about 150 recipients. Two of the cottages are supposed to have been given by John Bradley, in 1643; and 10 given by Colonel Bolles, is supposed to "have been lad out for a place for depositing the coals." In 1575, Richard Wright bequeathed to the poor of Louth, for distributions of "butter and harden cloth," two tenements in Eastgate, and about 37 acres of land, at Cockerington and How Dales, now let for 28 per annum. This charity is vested in 12 trustees, commonly called the "feoffees of butter," and has received the following augmentations, viz., three cottages in Padehole, left by Robert Osney, in 1637, and now let for 14; the Ship public house and an acre of land, given by an unknown donor, and now let for 20; and two allotments, 3R 16P., let for 4. 15., awarded at the enclosure of the open fields of Louth, under an of the 41st of George III. The yearly income, from these sources, is 112. 5s., which, except the payment of 7s. 11d. to the Rector and 20s. for a right of road, is distributed in donations of 5s each, to deserving poor persons on the 21st December; the practice of giving butter having been discontinued many years ago.

The poor have also the following yearly doles, viz., 115. 10s., from 45 acres of land, at Winthorpe and North Somercotes, purchased with 626, left by Edward Bolle, of London (son of John Bolle, of Thorpe Hall), in 1680, and now vested with ten trustees; 2, left by Jarratt Allandale, in 1586, and charged on Monks Dike Close; 6. 13s. 4d., left by Oliver Kennythorpe, in 1603, and charged on land at Brackenborough; 21 from 6 acres of land, in Louth, called the Eel Mire Close, left by John Skipworth, in 1678, for distribution of clothing; 5 left by Anthony Acham, in 1638, and charged on lands at Asterby, Stenigot and Ranby; 17. 10s. from Navigation and Gas shares, derived from 200, bequeathed in 1767, by Ann Wadeson; 6, from about 4 acres of land at Saltfleetby St. Peter, left by Jane Bradley in 1664; 6, as interest of 200, left by Isabella Phillipson, in 1801, for 12 poor widows or single people; 5 from 100 left by Richard Codd, and 30 from 600, left by David Atkinson; the last two sums being invested in Navigation shares."